EMHP Labor Management Committee Meeting Agenda Item # VIII.B.3
What do you do if you need medical care outside of the U.S.A.?
When you need healthcare outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin islands
- Always carry your EMHP Empire BlueCross Blue Shield (EBCBS) identification card.
- Check with EBCBS before leaving because your health care benefits may be different outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
- In case of emergency, go directly to the nearest hospital or doctor. Call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center if hospitalized, at 1-800-810-BLUE (2583) or call collect at 1-804-673-1177.
- If you need to locate a doctor or hospital, or need medical assistance services, call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1-800-810-BLUE (2583) or call collect 1-804-673-1177, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. An assistance coordinator, in conjunction with a medical professional, will arrange a physician appointment or hospitalization, if necessary.
- Call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1-800-810-BLUE (2583) or collect at 1-804-673-1177 when you need inpatient care. In most cases, you should not need to pay upfront for inpatient care at participating BlueCard Worldwide hospitals except for the out-of-pocket expenses (non-covered services, deductible, co-payment and co-insurance) you normally pay. When cashless access is arranged, the hospital will submit your claim on your behalf.
- Call EBCBS at 1-800-939-7515 for pre-certification or prior authorization, if necessary.
Claims filing and payment information
- For inpatient care at a BlueCard Worldwide hospitalthat was arranged through the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center, 1-800-810-BLUE (2583), you only pay the provider the usual out-of-pocket expenses (non-covered services, deductible, co-payment and co-insurance) when cashless is arranged. The provider files the claim for you.
- For all outpatient and professional medical care, you pay the provider and submit a claim. You may also have to pay the hospital 9and submit a claim) for inpatient care obtained from a non-BlueCard Worldwide hospital or when inpatient care was not arranged through the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center.
- To submit a claim, complete an International Claim Form and send it to the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center. The claim form must be completed and accompanied by itemized bills otherwise your claim will be returned to you and payment will be delayed.
Neither the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association nor any of its independent Licensees shall be liable for any loses, damages, or uncovered charges as a result of using the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center or receiving care from any provider listed on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association site.
See the "Links" page for the EMHP, Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield and Flexbene websites.